Saturday 12 March 2011

Jacques Cartier brut NV

When this Negociant champagne first came to me I was a bit hasty to form an opinion on it. Try as I might, I couldn't help looking at the bottle and thinking, "Here's another average tasting, sub £20 champage which is destined for a corner shop near you." I have to admit that, when I first tried it, I wasn't hugely impressed by the wine inside either, but on my second tasting I had a bit more time to deliberate. It has a striking colour; bright and golden. On the nose it has quite a reductive character but it brings interesting orange peel notes with it, as well as a strong, toasty core. But what about the taste...? Surprisingly good. The orange peel flavours carry through to the palete and bring with them robust, toasted-brioche, low notes. It is a Pinot Meurnier dominent blend and this explains the robust nature of this champagne. Dare I say it, this has a similar flavour profile to Bollinger Brut NV, it's just a little bit less complete.

Jacques cartier is by no means a world-beater, but for the money, it is a solid champagne which I am happy to recommend to price conscious consumers.

No comments:

Post a Comment